Functional Safety Engineer (Senior/Principal)
- Role Type
- Full time, Permanent
- Shoreham-by-Sea, Prague, Cambridge, Leicester, Leamington Spa
- Closing Date
Due to the expansion of business within the Ricardo global systems safety group we are actively searching for a systems/functional safety engineer to work on Automotive Control and Electronic projects.
Working as part of a multinational and multi-disciplined team you will be involved in a range of projects for the automotive and transport industries where the work is predominantly for the passenger car and truck markets. You will be supporting the specification, design, development and integration of leading edge technologies across the world. You will need to work effectively with other engineering disciplines to develop system level solutions and you should be comfortable in a client facing role.
You are a proven engineer with a track record in System Safety Engineering in the automotive or similar industries.
You are now seeking your next move into a challenging industry that will broaden your experience and reward you with opportunities to develop leading technologies and practices for global market needs.
The role will require you to work with Ricardo’s global client base and will require regular travel to the USA and potentially other countries to work with new and existing technology companies on a range of exciting projects.
You are a thorough yet pragmatic engineer who applies a sound understanding of the fundamentals of functional safety engineering to pro-actively ensure that safety is built into the product from the start. You understand relevant safety engineering standards but more importantly understand the spirit behind them rather than a focus on ticking boxes.
In order to be successful, you will need to seek innovative solutions while working closely with development teams within tight timescales.
Able to work & communicate well within multi-disciplinary project teams, you will be a self-starter with the determination to deliver to clear objectives.
Your degree qualification will be in a technical subject and you will be expected to be familiar with the following:
- Sound theoretical & practical knowledge of functional safety engineering fundamentals
- Knowledge of at least one of ISO 26262, IEC 61508, ARP 4754, ARP 4761, DEF-STAN 00-56, EN 5012x
- Analysis techniques such as FMEA, FTA, FHA, HAZOP, RBD, HARA etc.
- Constructing safety arguments for complex embedded systems
- Practice of at least one of MEDINI Analyze IKV/KPIT toolchain, FaultTree+ Isograph, others…
A safety engineering specific qualification is a bonus, but not essential.
Knowledge in at least one of the following additional areas would be advantageous:
- Electrical Safety
- Embedded Software
- Control Systems
- Model-Based Development using the Mathworks tool-chain
- Automotive Hybrid Systems
- Connected and Automated Vehicles (CAV)