Senior Hydraulics Engineer
- Role Type
- Closing Date
As Ricardo strategically expands its breadth of application engineering across new market sectors and territories, customer projects incorporating complex hydraulic systems are becoming an everyday part of our project portfolio.This role is targeted at taking a strong but somewhat dispersed team of engineers with hydraulic engineering skills, together with some additional recruits, to build and lead a centre of competency for Ricardo.
Typical project applications range from dual clutch or automatic transmission control systems to large complex off highway power hydraulic systems. Typical recent/current example projects with complex hydraulic system requirements include:
- 6 speed automotive transmission hydraulic control module
- 7 speed automotive transmission hydraulic control module
- Hydrostatic drive concept for new aircraft handling vehicle
- Hydraulics system for Dedicated Hybrid Transmissions
- Various transmission and vehicle concept projects
- Support market survey for hydraulic valves market trends
- Energy recovery research project aimed at in off-highway vehicles
The responsibilities of the hydraulic role include carrying out the following tasks relating to hydraulic system engineering, according to a managed product development process and including engineering approval:
- Concept to detail design of hydraulic components and systems
- Defining and supporting testing of hydraulic components and sub-assemblies
- Simulation & detailed analysis
- Development and validation
- Problem resolution
- Definition and execution of hydraulic related Research and Development activities
- Interaction with external customers, suppliers and a broad range of internal stakeholders
From a very significant breadth and depth of knowledge of hydraulic systems engineering, the successful candidate will need to exude confidence and enthusiasm in this field; whilst also being able to apply a system engineering approach, maintain structured issue resolution practices such as 8D, including dealing with the interfaces to the product mechanical and electronic control systems. Some overseas / UK travel is necessary.
Professional and Personal Experience
- Highly capable of understanding, specifying, designing complex hydraulic systems from a basis of first principle knowledge/competency
- Deep knowledge/contact with the supply base for automotive, mobile and industrial hydraulic components would be beneficial
- Understanding of the operating system and control/power hydraulic system requirements for both on and off highway vehicles (minimum specialism in one and confidence with the other)
- Ability to manage the development and validation of hydraulic components in both the field and laboratory
- Able to lead/manage delivery of the hydraulic system element of projects through their lifecycle, including issue identification and resolution according to a structured process
- Understanding of the principles of electronic control systems which interface with the hydraulic systems and willingness to cross the boundaries to resolve issues
- Understanding and experience of system engineering processes would be an advantage
- Strong communication and team leadership skills together with a leadership style that attracts and retains engineering talent.
- Experience of hydraulic simulation package such as AMESim would be an advantage
Degree qualified in an engineering discipline with an emphasis on hydraulic systems engineering.
NB: All applications must be accompanied by a covering letter detailing how your skill and experience match this role.