Supplier Development Engineer
- Role Type
- Closing Date
This is an exciting opportunity for someone wishing to apply their quality engineering experience and knowledge in a dynamic hands-on manufacturing environment, producing world class products across a range of projects.
The successful candidate will be rewarded with the opportunity to be a key member of a team with a broad remit to support supply chain improvement activities across numerous projects within the Performance Products division of Ricardo. As a Supplier Development Engineer you will be responsible for the quality of purchased parts from concept to series production from the suppliers and projects you are assigned. Working alone or leading a small team on designated projects your key objectives will include:
- Driving performance improvement across a broad scope of suppliers. Monitoring performance effectively and reporting activities/results
- Identifying and delivering cost saving initiatives based on improved productivity and processes within the supply chain
- Management of supplier quality performance, including verification and implementation of corrective actions throughout prototype and production phases
- Support and deliver outsourcing activities from our in-house manufacturing capability to an external supply chain. Project management of such activities including delivery of strict timing plans will be essential
- Supplier identification and approval in conjunction with the Procurement function
- Supplier Quality Assurance activities within the supply chain including: APQP, PPAP, IMDS, Supplier assessment audit, surveillance visits
- Supporting/generating goods receiving inspection documents as well as supplier control plans and inspection criteria
- Working closely with procurement, design and system engineers to ensure parts are designed for manufacture and commercially optimized
- Problem resolution of parts quality issues working with suppliers using 8D and other automotive industry tools
- Managing the parts quality implications of product and process changes
- Reporting status against project targets
- Proactive & reactive supplier improvement activities ensuring decisions are made to be sustainable and repeatable utilizing knowledge of Lean/Kaizen/VA-VE tools and practices to achieve business objectives.
- Management of ‘dock to stock’ strategy to eliminate in-house inspection requirements
- Appropriately manage RISK within the supply chain working with the procurement function to minimise wherever possible.
- Facilitate the adherence to internal supplier quality processes and tools.
Relevant Experience and Personal Attributes
Experience of NPI and/or Supplier Quality Assurance or a similar role where skills can be transferred into the supply chain. Preferably within automotive sector but other industries would be considered.
- Some knowledge of automotive technology and product development
- Experience with various manufacturing processes
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Experience of quality systems, quality tools & techniques
- The ability to work as a team or on your own and be self-motivated.
- A good communicator with intercultural and interpersonal skills
- The ability to communicate and present effectively to suppliers and clients at all levels
- Knowledge of IATF 16949
- Tenacity, resilience and focus
- Engineering degree or equivalent experience
This role involves regular travel to suppliers domestically and internationally.
NB: All applications must be accompanied by a covering letter detailing how your skill and experience match this role.