Chief Engineer - Battery Systems
- Role Type
- Shoreham-by-Sea, Cambridge, Leamington Spa
- Closing Date
A senior level opportunity exists for a Chief Engineer – Battery Systems to strengthen technical thought leadership, develop in-demand product focused value propositions and provide technical leadership in both developing and delivering new projects with our clients around the world. This will span all market sectors served by Ricardo including passenger car, commercial vehicle. Based at our Shoreham, Leamingon or Cambridge Technical Centre, this role will report to the Head of Battery Systems in the Product Leadership team.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Using in-depth industry knowledge, provide thought leadership on battery systems, as applied to hybrid and electric vehicles for passenger cars, and commercial/off-highway applications
- Generate new value propositions related to battery systems by supporting development of Ricardo’s roadmaps and driving research activities to develop new product, process and system solutions
- Support the business development teams to understand our client needs and develop new opportunities through generation of technical sales material and client engagements
- Lead the preparation of compelling proposals including project technical scoping and delivery approach architecture, liaising with customers and internal engineering and project management teams
- Technical negotiations with clients and support of commercial discussions
- Provide excellent technical leadership in multi-disciplinary projects taking responsibility for high quality delivery on-time and on-budget
- Provide input to (or lead) delivery of project activities relating to all aspects of battery system design, development, application and validation
- Ability to provide leadership in the application layer software for battery management control is also desirable
- Developing and maintaining internal and client network and relationships to enable growth of Ricardo’s business in electrification
- Support development of Ricardo engineers by mentoring and identifying requirements for skills development where required
- Education – A relevant engineering / science degree qualification and Chartered Engineer status preferred. 10 years or more in the battery systems industry with a global reputation based on delivering excellence in previous roles
- Technical – In-depth experience in the development and application of next generation battery system solutions, typically from Tier 1, OEM and/or consultancy
- Business Growth – Developing and scaling up capability and delivery models with customers and partners in a global environment
- Commercial Acumen – Solid knowledge of and confidence in ability and appropriate use of legal and business language, including familiarity with NDAs, IP, proposals and industry standards. Prepare solutions sales materials. Deep market knowledge and ability to think strategically
- Results Focus – Highly motivated to succeed, a self-starter who is driven and able to work with others effectively to "get things done"
- Leadership – Strong strategic and leadership skills, to build and manage teams to deliver, satisfy customers and achieve technical, project and strategic targets
- Team – Strong team player able to play in position as well as supporting areas of new technology for the greater good
- Communication – Excellent communication, presentation and collaboration skills to work across functions and organisations; excellent listening and relationship-building skills. The ability to up-skill engineers using good interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility – Able to be flexible on work location and prepared to travel within the UK and internationally on short assignments
NB: All applications must be accompanied by a covering letter detailing how your skill and experience match this role.
Ricardo is an equal opportunities employer.