Principal Thermal Engineer
- Role Type
- Cambridge, Leamington Spa, Shoreham-by-Sea, Prague
- Closing Date
Due to a growing portfolio of engineering projects within the Ricardo Systems Engineering Capability Group, we are actively searching for a Thermal Systems Principal Engineer to technically lead thermal activities on a range of projects in a multinational and multi-disciplined environment for the automotive and transport industries.
Based at a Ricardo Technical Centre in the UK or in the Ricardo Prague Technical Centre, you will be primarily responsible for leading Thermal Systems project delivery activities and developing technical solutions – particularly for new electric and hybrid vehicles.
You will support the Ricardo Market Sector commercial teams during the bidding/proposal phase by working effectively with other engineering disciplines to offer superior value to our customers. You should be comfortable in a client facing role.
As a Thermal Systems Engineering Principal Engineer, you will be expected to work in close partnership with programme managers and provide technical leadership on one or more projects. You will also support the ongoing development of a culture of successful and effective research and innovation. Your role will also include coaching, mentoring and skill development of engineers in the wider Ricardo team.
You are a proven engineer with a track record in:
- Thermal system delivery on production vehicle programmes
- Cooling system or HVAC system engineering at a vehicle level
- People, skills and resource management
You are now seeking your next move into a challenging industry that will broaden your experience and reward you with opportunities to work on varied and technically challenging projects.
You will have a strong technical background in at least one area of thermal system engineering with a proven track record in new vehicle development programmes.
You should be able to work & communicate well with management, as well as other team members, the commercial team, project management and customers.
Your degree qualification will be in a technical subject and you will have some or all of the following:
- A strong track record of thermal systems product development within the automotive industry, ideally leading to volume production
- Familiarity with electric vehicle or hybrid vehicle thermal system design incorporating high voltage battery thermal management, e-machine cooling and power electronics cooling
- Experience of the full systems engineering V cycle, from requirements capture through to managing design, CAE and development activities through to validation and sign-off
- Interest in hybrid and electric thermal architectures
- Knowledge of requirements management toolsets such as DOORS, JAMA, Polarion, PTC Integrity would be useful
- Strong technical leadership and the ability to work with multi-disciplined teams
- The ability to work in a matrix organisation and can liaise effectively across engineering departments to drive greater business value
- Strong project management skills
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills at all levels
- High degree of flexibility and willingness to travel
- Robust character with a strong drive and motivation to succeed
- Great patience in dealing with client and team situations coupled with an ability to accept and positively respond to frequent changes
- The ability to work under pressure and tight timescales
- The ability to positively resolve issues arising from different cultures
NB: All applications must be accompanied by a covering letter detailing how your skill and experience match this role.
Ricardo is an equal opportunities employer.