Embedded Software Contractor
- Role Type
- Closing Date
Our mission at Ricardo is to support the evolution of the automotive sector towards an efficient, sustainable low-carbon future.
As the industry responds to seismic changes in the automotive market – and across society as a whole – we remain one of its most trusted and innovative partners, leading the way in high-calibre research across engines, drivelines and hybrid systems, as well as supporting the development of emerging technologies such as autonomous and connected vehicles.
Software engineering plays a key role in helping our customers design and implement complex interconnected software systems and supports Ricardo’s ability to deliver turnkey development of vehicle systems.
The embedded software team work as part of a wider project team which might for example include functional safety engineers, systems specialists and electronic design engineers. Developments will typically follow an application software and base software architecture with the use of Model-Based Design and auto-code integrated with hand-coded base software and drivers.
The software team are responsible for delivery of projects across the full development lifecycle, from concept and design through to implementation and test. Often being required to validate the integrated systems within the vehicle.
A new vacancy exists within Ricardo for a Contract Software Engineer to join the EMEA Embedded Software team. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on a range of different products & technologies, with responsibility for the application of systems and software engineering methodologies in order to provide the best solutions to our customers.
Everyday responsibilities will include:
- Development of C source code at micro-level and application level.
- Taking responsibility for software engineering work products according to cost, quality and operational targets
- Communication and cooperation with a multi-disciplinary project delivery team, including the customer and suppliers.
- Supporting the wider team in understanding software engineering best practice, processes & procedures.
The position is located in Cambridge with some occasional travel required to customer sites to support projects. You should have a full driving license and be prepared to travel in the UK and abroad.
The successful candidate will have a good level of experience developing embedded C code for automotive projects and will have practical knowledge of software engineering (likely having experience of more than one development lifecycle methodology), either in automotive or another industry.
You are a creative, pragmatic engineer who applies a sound understanding of the fundamentals of software engineering to ensure that the product is well specified and robustly engineered.
Able to work & communicate well within multi-disciplinary project teams, you are a pro-active self-starter, able to make evidence-based decisions, and display a strong “can-do” attitude to match the challenges you will face with equal enthusiasm.
Development of embedded software in C either at a functional application level, micro/base-level or functional safety software level is required.
In addition, at least one of the following areas would be considered advantageous:
- ISO26262 as applied to the development of high-integrity software
- Software development in C to meet functional safety software requirements
- Automotive technologies, standards and protocols (e.g. CAN, AUTOSAR, OSEK, J1939, ISO 14229)
- Microcontrollers and multi-core architectures
- Development tools including compilers, debuggers, network analysis and testing tools
- Appreciation of Model Based Design concepts & tools
- Experience working with networked systems and appreciation of failure modes and consequences, particularly in an automotive context
NB: All applications must be accompanied by a covering letter detailing how your skill and experience match this role.
Ricardo is an equal opportunities employer.