Principal Engineer - Power Electronics
- Role Type
- Closing Date
Principal Engineer – Power Electronics
Working as part of a multi-national team you will be a technical power electronics design leader on a range of applications in the automotive and industrial field.
Your everyday duties will include:
- Customer communication
- System and architecture definition
- Technical proposal generation and task definition
- Project planning and task management to ensure successful delivery on time and budget
- Providing technical leadership to teams of engineers responsible for the hardware design
- Developing hardware specifications and detailed designs
- Working with mechanical, thermal and software design teams to deliver complete products
- Coaching and leading the development of others
- Lead technically and support strategic electronics direction in cost, technology, safety, and execution within the global marketplace.
Successful candidates will have the following skills and characteristics:
- A Bachelors or Masters Degree in engineering, or science
- A professional and diligent approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Be flexible, proactive, resilient and enthusiastic
- Be able to work independently and demonstrate initiative, as well as operate effectively as part of a team
- Hardware design core skills / deep understanding of:
- Specification of Hardware requirements
- 3-phase inverter design for PM motors (to 50kW)
- DCDC converter (SMPS) design
- ACDC converter (charger) designs (analog or digital control based)
- Power inductor & transformer design for multi-kW DCDC converters
- Design for EMC, considerations, knowledge of standards and Testing
- Worst-case analysis
- Schematic and pcb design,
- Compilation of electronics hardware design validation specifications
- Compilation of electronics HW functional test specifications
- DFMEA compilation
- Experience with Test Equipment Design, LabVIEW programming
- Knowledge of Functional safety standards ISO26262 or/and IEC61508
- Knowledge of automotive electric and hybrid powertrains
- Knowledge of high-voltage (400-1500V) battery systems
- Experience of electronics manufacturing
Ricardo is a global engineering, strategic and environmental consultancy, founded in 1915. Our vision is to maximise efficiency and eliminate waste.
With a century of experience delivering excellence and innovation, Ricardo now employs over 3,000 engineers, scientists and consultants around the world. It is the passion and expertise of this community which drives us forward and maintains our position of technical leadership.
As a business, we value respect, integrity, innovation and passion. Guided by these values we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
NB: All applications must be accompanied by a covering letter detailing how your skill and experience match this role.
Ricardo is an equal opportunities employer.