- Role Type
- Closing Date
A role offering opportunity to develop valuable commercial, sales and marketing skills combined with significant senior management engagement. We are seeking a technically literate proposal manager to lead creation of compelling proposals for our global customer base.
Working for the System Integration Service Line Delivery Leader, and in close collaboration with technical experts, project managers and sales leads, you will be responsible for managing the creation of technical proposals from proposal launch to proposal win.
The successful candidate will work in a growth area of the business, covering technologies including hydrogen fuel cells and batteries. In addition to gaining expertise in new technologies, the role offers significant opportunity to develop commercial, sales and marketing expertise, providing the right individual with the career progression paths in any of these areas.
Whilst previous proposal management experience will be viewed positively, we are open to applications from individuals without specific proposal management experience who are seeking a growth opportunity and possess the behavioural attributes and skills described below.
Accountability / Key Responsibilities:
Key responsibilities will include:
- Generating high quality, commercially compelling proposals and discussion documents that demonstrate superior value to our customers.
This will include:
- Rapidly forming and managing effective proposal teams.
- Project managing proposals from launch through to on-time delivery.
- Preparing proposals that clearly and concisely communicate a compelling value proposition to our customers.
- Preparing costed Microsoft Project plans in collaboration with members of the engineering team.
- Generation of documentation to support the internal approval of proposals.
- Direct engagement with customers to ensure that proposals match customer expectations.
- Working with the Ricardo legal team in the preparation of technical agreements and contracts.
- Managing other proposals managers as required to deliver the required proposal team throughput.
- Understanding our customer’s businesses, including their organisations, financial decision-making processes and business challenges to create proposals that respond to the customers’ value drivers.
- Understanding our customer’s industries, including industry trends, key players and competitors, to develop and sell solutions that address customer needs.
- Preparation of sales and marketing materials that clearly present Ricardo’s value proposition for use by our sales and business development colleagues.
- Improving the efficiency and effectiveness of our proposal creation process by reducing the ratio of “proposal preparation cost vs business win”.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following behavioural attributes:
- A passion for contributing to Ricardo’s success by creating winning proposals.
An excellent communicator:
- Explains and illustrates complex subjects in easily understandable ways.
- Listens carefully and asks questions to ensure own understanding.
- Actively seeks inputs, ideas and suggestions from others.
- Adept at managing senior stakeholders.
- Able to lead teams, understands team relationships and adapts engagement style to get the best out of different team members.
- Gains delivery commitment from others by consulting and involving them
- Works effectively as a team member and proactively builds collaborative relationships with colleagues.
- Delivers on commitments, takes ownership for their work and delivers quality outputs within agreed, and sometimes short, timescales.
- Acts positively and with determination when under pressure.
- Is flexible, responsive and able to rapidly adapt to changing internal or customer needs.
- Takes initiative to assist others and remove barriers.
- Demonstrates willingness to try unfamiliar tasks and seeks to improve and update knowledge.
- Identifies opportunities and to improve approaches and processes.
- Interest in learning about using marketing tools and techniques to make proposals more appealing to customers.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Strong technical understanding and literacy; able to quickly digest and translate multiple, complex, technical inputs into clear, concise narrative.
- Produces well-structured documents and proposals that clearly communicate value propositions to customers.
- A basic understanding of contracts and legal language.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Project.
- Able to build a project plan, identify risks and then deliver against the plan whilst mitigating the identified risks.
You will ideally hold a technically oriented degree and / or have experience of:
- Working on engineering development projects, and/or,
- Managing creation of technical proposals for customers.
NB: All applications must be accompanied by a covering letter detailing how your skill and experience match this role.
Ricardo is an equal opportunities employer.