- Role Type
- Prague, Shoreham-by-Sea
- Closing Date
With a century of experience delivering excellence and innovation, Ricardo now employs over 3000 engineers, scientists and consultants around the world and it is the passion and expertise of this community, which drives us forward and maintains our position of technical leadership. As a business, we value respect, integrity, innovation and passion and guided by these values we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Software is responsible for the development, sales and support of advanced engineering analysis software for power-train and vehicle systems, with a worldwide customer base including major automotive manufacturers and tier one suppliers. Our software products comprise tools for the analysis of fluid and mechanical engine, powertrain and vehicle systems, with well-established brands in fluid dynamics modelling such as VECTIS. VECTIS provides efficient and streamlined workflow for fluid dynamics and conjugate heat transfer problems using advanced CFD algorithms leading to fast efficient solutions. One of the main applications of VECTIS is modelling of in-cylinder combustion systems based on detailed kinetics within a unique Arbitrary Dynamic Mesh Cut-Cell approach.
Job Description A vacancy has arisen for a Senior Software Engineer in Ricardo Software within VECTIS team. The successful candidate will become a member of the development team and will be responsible for the design and development as well as the maintenance and enhancement of computational models within VECTIS. While the successful candidate is expected to work across the range of the computational models encountered in VECTIS suite, applicants with the experience and record of code and methods development in one of the following areas would be an advantage: Detailed kinetics modelling, in particular in applications to e-fuels. Combustion modelling within RANS and LES turbulence frameworks. ICE simulations for automotive, marine or power generation applications.
Essential Functions 1. Develops Ricardo Software by designing and programming by participating in customer meetings and liaising with our commercial and product teams to understand customer needs and to define and recommend solutions
2. Specifies, designs and authors software code with minimal guidance. Architects solutions that fit within existing infrastructure.
3. Provides detailed requirements to framework products
4. Maintains and enhances existing Ricardo Software
5. Translates requirements into design documents and implements them into Ricardo Software products
6. Specifies and creates tests to demonstrate the correctness of code; tests programs as necessary; corrects any shortcomings revealed by in-house or external testing
7. Creates and delivers product presentations and demonstrations to various audiences 8. Delivers projects to specification, timing and ISO 9000 quality standards
9. Provides second line technical support and training, which may involve some off-site support
10. Acts as technical liaison with third-party vendors
11. Conducts directed research under supervision - understands associated technologies such as programming, engineering, and mathematics
12. Performs other job-related duties as assigned Knowledge,
Skills and Abilities 1. Education to an MSc level (PhD strongly preferred) in a relevant discipline
2. Minimum three years of experience in research, development or application engineering in a relevant field
3. Sound knowledge of fluid mechanics and computational methods
4. Experience with the applications of CFD using in-house, open-source or commercial packages
5. Experience in the development and implementation of computational models.
6. Excellent programming skills using FORTRAN 90/95/2003 but knowledge of other programming languages (C, C++) is acceptable
7. Ability to work independently as well as with others in a geographically diverse team environment.
8. Knowledge of Linux/Windows development environments and revision control systems is desirable.
9. Proficiency with Linux or/and Windows office tools.