Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Role Type
- Leamington Spa, Prague, Shoreham-by-Sea
- Closing Date
Job Description: Senior Mechanical Engineer PEMD
You will be supporting the design, development and integration of leading-edge technologies into vehicle systems for:
- Battery and Battery management systems using prismatic, pouch and cylindrical technologies
- Electric motors
- Power electronic modules (Power Supply Units, Inverters, DC-DC Converters)
- Electronic control units for harsh environments covering passenger car, truck, marine or aerospace applications.
You will need to work effectively with other engineering disciplines to develop system level solutions and to implement designs that satisfy component, system and product requirements.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- The creation of mechanical concepts and schemes for the packaging of electronic and electrical components for use in batteries for automotive, rail and aerospace applications.
- To support lead engineers in the development of mechanical systems and components particularly relating to electronic modules, electric motors and power electronic modules
- Liaise with customers to agree the mechanical interface and performance details.
- To produce detail drawings of components suitable for prototype and volume production.
- Undertake tolerance analysis of assemblies.
- To produce assembly documentation to support prototype and production builds (e.g. Bill of Materials and Process Assembly Instructions).
- · Liaise and manage suppliers/subcontractors to agree the specification of purchased components and delivery requirements for the project.
- · To design assembly fixtures and oversee the initial build of products.
- · Support testing of prototypes and validation testing programs.
- · Support the development of future products and services through technology research and market research.
You are ideally a degree qualified Design Engineer (Degree in an Engineering or Science related discipline e.g. mechanical engineering/physics/aero engineering) with demonstrable experience and a proven track record of developing electronic components and assemblies within the automotive or similar industries (Experience in the automotive industry is preferable but not essential)
In order to be successful, you will need to seek innovative solutions while working within tight timescales, be able to work well within multi-disciplinary project teams and be a self-starter with the determination to deliver to clear objectives.
The candidate will require a good understanding or detailed working knowledge in the following areas:
- 3D CAD systems, ideally, an experienced user of CATIA V5, Creo or NX CAD systems
- Conversant with Windchill PLM system or similar systems
- Experience in volume manufacturing techniques such as sand and die casting for aluminium and iron castings, extrusions, plastic injection moulding, sheet metal fabrication, metal joining (welding/riveting/bonding), PCB manufacture and wire harness assembly
- Experience in prototype manufacturing techniques such as rapid prototyping and CNC machining
- Knowledge of designing for high current and high voltage (12 to 1200Vdc) power systems, (connectors, bus bars, cables, contactors & fusing), electronic PCB outline and packaging, wiring harness routing
- Knowledge of electrical motor static / rotating component design
- Experience in DFMEA writing and assessment
- Experience in the preparation of design concepts and inputs to proposals and presentation to customers.
Other useful and relevant experience that would be considerable as beneficial
- Design rules for electrical safety
- Knowledge and experience of designing thermal management systems and structural design considerations for electromechanical assemblies
- Knowledge of battery architectures and cell chemistries used in hybrid & electric vehicles
- Practical experience of cell welding, copper and aluminium joining techniques
- Expertise in the surface modelling in 3D CAD packages (preferably Catia v5)
- Managing Engineering Change Control (ECN) procedures and documentation
- Work to client quality procedures and validation processes
- Familiar with product delivery process from requirements capture through to design validation of mechanical parts
- Design of composite structures
- A familiarity of vehicle structures, vehicle safety and crash structures including integration with BIW and Chassis.
- Knowledge of vehicle build and service procedures
- Knowledge or experience of Teamcenter or Smarteam
- Good interpersonal and customer facing skills
- Be proactive, self-motivated, and demonstrate an attention to detail
- Strong teamwork, organizational, oral communication and written communication skills
- Interface directly with clients on technical issues, often working as part of the client engineering team at the client site or any one of the Ricardo offices