Senior SQA Engineer - NPI
- Role Type
- Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
The successful candidate will be rewarded with the opportunity to be a key member of a team with a broad remit to support the quality of New Product Introduction across projects within the Performance Products division of Ricardo. This division specialises in delivering niche powertrain products to many premium brand customers. Driven by an increasing level of customer demand, Ricardo Performance Products is now implementing a strategy that will lead to the supply of automotive battery systems to this marketplace. Ricardo also supplies all engines for McLaren’s range of sports and super cars from its Shoreham Technical Centre in West Sussex. Part of the role is key in supporting the ongoing development of this engine and new product lines.
This vacancy is therefore an excellent opportunity to be involved in the growth phase of new and existing ventures.
As a Senior NPI Parts/Supplier Quality Engineer you will be responsible for the quality of purchase parts, from concept to series production for the suppliers and projects you are assigned. Working alone, as part of a team or leading a small team on designated projects, traveling in the UK and overseas your key objectives will include:
- Supervising and coaching a small team to deliver projects on time and in full.
- Auditing suppliers and contributing to the nomination process.
- Supplier Quality Assurance activities within the supply chain including: APQP, PPAP, and surveillance visits leading to launch.
- Problem resolution of parts quality issues working with suppliers using 8D and other automotive industry tools.
- Creating and managing customer quality requirements that can be cascaded to the supply chain.
- Generating goods receiving inspection documents for pre-production and production phases.
- Series process and part approval at product launch.
- Working closely with procurement, design, and system engineers to achieve parts that are cost effective, fit for purpose and to the required quality standard.
- Proactive & reactive supplier improvement activities, including problem resolution of parts quality issues using 8D and other automotive industry tools.
- Management of supplier quality performance, including verification and implementation of corrective actions in the pre-series phase.
- Managing the parts quality implications of product and process changes.
- Reporting status against project targets internally and customer facing.
- Supervising and coaching of the SQA Engineering team also deployed on these projects.
- Actively participating in continuous improvement by developing and introducing new quality focussed processes and procedures to Ricardo.
Relevant Experience & Personal Attributes
Experience of NPI and/or Supplier Quality Assurance or a similar role where skills can be transferred into the objectives described above. Preferably gained within the automotive sector but other industries would be considered.
- Achieving PPAP.
- Experience with various manufacturing processes and components (e.g. casting, machining, moulding, assembly, fabrications) and measurement techniques.
- Experience and understanding with geometric design & tolerancing.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, using 8D process.
- Experience of quality systems, quality tools & techniques.
- The ability to work as a team or on your own and be self-motivated.
- A good communicator with intercultural and interpersonal skills together with the ability to communicate and present effectively to suppliers and clients at all levels.
- Tenacity, resilience, and focus.
- Engineering degree or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of automotive technology and product development.
- Lead Auditor trained to ISO 9001 and or IATF 16949.
- Knowledge of IATF 16949.
- Hands-on experience of lean manufacturing & six sigma.
- This role involves regular travel to suppliers domestically and internationally.