Principal Design Engineer - Gears
- Role Type
- Full time, Permanent
- Leamington Spa, Any Ricardo office globally
- Closing Date
Responsible for leading activities in the design, analysis and production of a wide range of complex rotating components focusing on gears, shafts and bearings from various product sectors (Engines, Transmissions, Drivelines & Hybrids). Gear types will typically range from prototype to production parallel axis helical gear sets, epicyclic gear sets and bevel gear sets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work on a variety of market sectors including automotive, marine, aerospace, industrial and defence markets.
- Design and analyse transmission assemblies and components comprising of shafts, bearings and gears such as parallel axis and epicyclic gear sets.
- Lead geartrain design through typical design phases of concept, definitive and detail design and support through testing and production phases.
- Understanding and being able to generate duty cycle information from road load data for different components.
- Familiar with ISO 6336 and DIN 3962.
- Be familiar with gear manufacturing methods and achievable tolerances for prototype and mass production.
- In-depth understanding on how the wide range of material choices, production methods, heat treatment methods and finishing processes for gears influence durability and NVH.
- Work closely with manufacturing and process engineers to ensure products are designed for manufacture and assembly, from prototype to full production projects.
- Gear macro and micro geometry design and the possible NVH effects.
- Creation of gear production documentation.
- Understand the effect of lubricant selection and the effect this may have on gear performance.
- Aware of the design principles of bevel gears, including straight bevel, spiral bevel and hypoids.
- Be able to identify failure modes from visual inspection.
- Checking and validating Design Engineer’s designs and drawings as required.
- Technical delivery to time, cost and quality targets.
- Presenting and reporting progress of geartrain deliverables to the customer, project management or Chief Designer.
- Follow departmental processes relating to management of designs (MDP).
- Coaching and mentoring Design Engineers in design techniques and departmental processes.
- Regularly review departmental design processes and identify any updates required.
- Identify opportunities to innovate and suggest R&D topics for further study.
- Supports proposal generation and advise on mechanical design content, timing and resource.
- Keep up to date with and dissemination of:
- latest manufacturing techniques.
- latest technology trends.
- latest developments in design and analysis tools.
- latest standards relating to gears and bearings.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree (Bachelor or Masters) in Mechanical Engineering or similar field or with equivalent technical experience.
- CEng or equivalent preferred.
- Proven experience in Mechanical Engineering of geared systems.
- Broad range of mechanical design knowledge preferably with experience in one of the following areas: Engines, Transmission, Vehicle, Hybrids.
- Advanced capabilities in Microsoft Office and applications.
- Extensive experience in a Gear, Shaft and Bearing analysis software.
- Leadership of small teams.
- The ability to understand technical drawings to a high standard with high GD&T competency.
- Confident proactive character, ability to take the lead in challenging situations.
- Excellent technical communication skills, dealing with other employees, suppliers and external clients in English.
- Strong presentation, report writing and communication skills in technical English.
- Self-motivated, creative and adaptive team player.
- Willingness to take on roles, responsibilities and challenges to achieve company goals and objectives.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Able to prioritize and organize multiple project workloads and tasks working to tight deadlines.
- Committed to undertaking professional development.
- Able to travel to support Ricardo’s worldwide client base.