- Role Type
- Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
The Senior Buyer reports to the Head of Planning and Supply Chain and is responsible for the purchase and delivery of components to site to support the manufacturing and assembly operations.
The role is focused on parts supply, but also encompasses customer-facing discussions around planning and projects. The Senior Buyer is part of a purchasing team and will contribute to implementing best practise and leading improvement initiatives
- Purchasing of high value, technically complex, low volume components, including PO placement, follow-up and daily monitoring of on-time delivery,
- Identification of new suppliers to support the business strategy,
- Identifying and realising overall long-term supply chain cost reduction opportunities,
- Defining and negotiating contractual terms with suppliers,
- NPI work alongside the project teams to help transition new work into ongoing operations,
- Taking the purchasing lead on customer change initiatives,
- Supporting the buyers through training and identification of best practise,
- Reporting according to required departmental KPI measures,
- Daily expediting in order to achieve excellent OTIF and avoid any parts supply issues,
- Summarising critical issues and thinking ahead to any future issues,
- Communicating with suppliers on order details,
- Checking and validating of MRP system data such as LTs, MOQs and costs,
- Continuous improvement activity of the purchasing processes, working with buyers to implement initiatives across the purchasing portfolio.
- Meticulous attention to detail is really important and persistence in achieving required outcome,
- Problem solving ability, analytical and listening skills,
- Strong and demonstrable commercial acumen,
- Purchasing experience in a manufacturing or engineering company,
- Experience of working successfully with suppliers,
- Clear, logical thinker with the ability to understand and solve problems,
- Understanding, simplifying, and improving complex processes,
- Good communication skills at all levels with ability to talk to customers and suppliers with sensitivity to commercial factors,
- Ability to think and act as a ‘service provider’ to manufacturing,
- Happy to work within a team and alongside other experienced professionals.
- Experience in a low volume / niche manufacturing environment,
- Automotive or Aerospace experience or awareness of those industry’s processes,
- Experience in leading change initiatives.
QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Educated to degree standard in a relevant discipline or able to demonstrate equivalent learned knowledge through experience,
- Excellent level of PC and general computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Excel,
- Experience of working with MRP/ERP systems for manufacturing.
- CIPS or other similar qualification,