Motorcycle & Powersport Chief Engineer
- Role Type
- Rimini, Prague, Leamington Spa, Leicester
- Closing Date
· Primarily a role focussed on the creation of technical solutions, this role also requires proven team leadership capability and offers commercial development opportunity
· Responsible for the delivery of technical solutions (often new or novel to meet demanding client requirements) for motorcycle chassis and body system multi-year projects
· Lead cross functional delivery teams, typically encompassing; chassis design and the integration of styling, powertrain and electrical systems, calling upon domain specialist expertise support as required
· Provide senior input and approval to proposals, presentations and concepts / reports / drawings etc. including leading client meetings and providing significant customer management
· Responsible for all technical and potentially commercial aspects of project delivery of self and team, as well as awareness of and adherence to common project management techniques
· Leading technical authority for the company in chosen area, shaping company position on subject, promotes excellence both internally and externally
· Located at Ricardo RTC (Italy - Rimini) or Ricardo LTC/MTC (UK – Midlands) - LTC (Cezch Rep - Prague)
· Project variety, encompassing many different customer markets, highly varied product sectors e.g. scooter, off-road and cruiser at any or all project phases, from clean sheet to production
· Substantial degree of personal autonomy and responsibility for the management of others (including recruitment and development)
· Highly competent in the application of a comprehensive range of fundamental Engineering principles to generate or guide the creation of optimal motorcycle specific solutions and sufficiently flexible to adapt first principle techniques across a wide range of known and sometimes novel contexts
· Competence on Electric Vehicles design and development is preferable
· Knowledge of CAD systems, Creo, UG NX and CATIA
· Good knowledge of MS Office and MS Project
· Capable of writing technical standards and promotion of excellence in motorcycle vehicle design, through coaching of others, and engagement in technical reviews
· Contributes to significant commercial and organisational planning
· Approves documents, deliverables, proposals and requisitions according to defined limits
· Personally accountable for simulation, analysis and diagnosis, design, planning, implementation and evaluation of technical systems, involvement and follow up of DVP and problem root cause analysis. Owner of DFMEA. Participation in PFMEA.
· Contributes to the development of design guidelines, tools and techniques
· Creates, maintains and enhances external and internal relationships
· Seeks and develops commercial opportunities arising from ongoing customer project work
· Good Knowledge of industrial phase of the product lifecycle. Support to component suppliers during industrialization, SQA, and factory setting up in clients. Manufacturability to be one of the focus of the design.
· Support the Project Manager to deploy budget, forecast spending and to the corrective actions following the weekly cost reviews.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Typically a degree or knowledge gained through experience and/or further study
· Fully qualified, with an appropriate level of experience in delivering a range of project types (e.g. concept generation, prototype development, production release / problem resolution) in a motorcycle related field in addition to technical and commercial management experience
· Preferably will have spent time working at an OEM / Tier 1 or Engineering consultancy, ideally in a design, analysis, test and development, manufacturing related discipline .